- 2023 Spring Luncheon – April 29, 2023: Don’t miss our visit from the GSMD Governor General Jane Hurt. Join us at the Poseidon Restaurant, 38 Shelter Cove Lane, Hilton Head Island, SC. Doors open at 11:30 and the meeting begins at noon. Be sure to register early; attendance is strictly limited to 83 people. Lunch includes salad, choice of two entrees, dessert, iced tea, water and a cash bar is available. There will not be a Friday night Meet and Greet for this meeting and hotel blocks have not been reserved. We offer the following three suggestions if you wish to stay overnight:
- ● Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head, 1575 Fording Island Rd, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926, 843-837-8111
- ● Comfort Suites Bluffton Hilton Head, 23 Towne Dr., Bluffton, SC 29910, 843-815-1700
- ● Home 2 Suites by Hilton Hilton Head Island, 836 William Hilton Pkwy, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928, 843-802-2700 RESERVATION DEADLINE: April 18, 2023 Sign up online here.
- 2023 Compact Day Luncheon Meeting & Election Please plan to join us on November 11, 2023 at The Piedmont Club, 361 East Main Street, Spartanburg, for the 2023 Compact Day Luncheon Meeting. Our speaker will be Jennifer Sinsigalli, pen name J.L. Rose. Jennifer lives in historic Duxbury and works at Plimoth Patuxet Museum (formerly Plimoth Plantation) as an historic interpreter. Jennifer is the author of the novel, Before the Mayflower. She will share with us details of writing about the thirty-three years before the Mayflower crossing; from religion to daily life, to the perils of fleeing one country to take refuge in another, and then to consider repeating that risky act and including Brewster, Bradford, Carver, Robins and Standish families. There is a strict dress code at the Piedmont Club:
- ● Men: Gentlemen are not required to wear a jacket or tie at lunch; no prohibited apparel.
- ● Women: Suit (including business pantsuit), dress or blazer with skirt or tailored slacks, tailored pants with a blouse or sweater.
- ● Prohibited: T-Shirts, sweatshirts, or other shirt without collar; athletic attire, tennis shoes, shorts, jeans (regardless of value), denim jackets, untucked shirts, and baseball caps.
- ● Enforcement: The Club staff is required to enforce the Dress Code in all areas of the Club. Any person not in compliance with the Dress Code may be asked to leave an area or the Club. SMD-SC will not be responsible if you are not allowed entrance. Tickets for domestic beer and house wine (pinot grigio, chardonnay and merlot) will be available for purchase. Cost is $5.00 (beer) and $8.00 (wine); cash only please. Tickets may then be presented to the bartender. Note that the bartender will only accept tickets. RESERVATION DEADLINE: November 1, 2023 Sign up for Compact Luncheon Meeting online here.
- Friday Night Meet and Greet: Join us on Friday evening, November 10th, at the lobby bar of the Four Points by Sheraton for a Meet & Greet from 5 - 7PM to meet our speaker Jennifer Sinsigalli and mingle with our Mayflower cousins. A block of rooms has been reserved at the Four Points by Sheraton, 9027 Fairforest Rd, Spartanburg, SC 29301. You do not need to stay at the hotel in order to join our Meet and Greet but please be sure to sign up for it when you reserve your lunch. Reservations must be made by October 20, 2023. For reservations call: 864-707-4700 and ask for the Mayflower Society block or by clicking here. RESERVATION DEADLINE: November 1, 2023 Sign up for Meet & Greet online here.
- 2024 Spring Luncheon Meeting: Please plan to join us on Saturday, April 27, 2024 at Hopsewee Plantation, located at 494 Hopsewee Road, Georgetown, SC. Our Speaker will be author Diana Leagh Matthews. Matthews is a descendant of Alden, Brewster, and Warren. Built circa 1740 on the Santee River, Hopsewee Plantation was one of the South’s major rice plantations and the birthplace of Thomas Lynch, Jr., one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Hopsewee offers two tours you may want to experience. We will hold a meet and greet on Friday evening, with location to be determined. Hotel blocks have not been reserved, but we offer the following options for those who wish to stay overnight Friday, April 26:
- ● The George Hotel, 615 Front St., Georgetown, SC 29440 (56 total rooms; constructed 2023)
- ● Hampton Inn Georgetown-Marina, 420 Marina Dr., Georgetown, SC, 29440 (98 total rooms; constructed 1997 and renovated 2018)
- ● Quality Inn & Suites, 210 Church St., Georgetown, SC 29440 (97 total rooms; constructed 1967) Future SMD-SC Semi-Annual Luncheon Meetings
- ● 2023 Compact Day Luncheon Meeting: November 11, 2023, The Piedmont Club, Spartanburg, SC
- ● 2024 Spring Luncheon Meeting: April 27, 2024, Hopsewee Plantation, Georgetown
- ● 2024 Compact Day Luncheon Meeting, November 9, 2024, Midlands
- ● 2025 Spring Luncheon Meeting, May 3, 2025, Low Country
- ● 2025 Compact Day Luncheon Meeting, November 8, 2025, Upstate
- ● 2026 Spring Luncheon Meeting, May 1, 2026, Charleston, Governor General Lisa Pennington
- ● 2026 Compact Day Luncheon Meeting, November 7 or 14, 2026, Midlands
Jennifer Sinsigalli, pen name J.L. Rose - 2023 Compact Day Luncheon
Friday Night Meet and Greet