Once the preliminary application is returned, the State Historian will type a formal application and document the first 5 generations and the birth of the 6th and let the applicant know what else is required and where to get this documentation. Generally speaking, if a certificate of birth, marriage, or death is available Plymouth will want the applicant to write for it. Although most states, counties, and municipalities will issue only certified copies, but an applicant can order an uncertified copy in those cases where a less expensive uncertified copy is available. Please refer to the CDC website and click on the Vital Records link to access details where to request certificates and the date these records started being filed. Secondary documentation such as published books, census records, etc. may be used when primary documentation is not available.

Proceed to Fees and Forms