Society of Mayflower Descendants of SC (SMDSC) 2023 Gilman Montgomery French Scholarship
The SC Society of Mayflower Descendants announces the 2023 Gilman Montgomery French (GMF) Scholarship. The 2023 theme follows the National History Day (NHD) theme: “Frontiers in History: People, Places, Ideas.” There are many resources at the NHD website to guide you on the theme and on submissions to their contest.* Our rules for submissions follow the NHD Contest Rule Book.† Any historical subject which relates to the theme is accepted. Our intent is to encourage students who are interested in history by recognizing that they will do their best work on a subject they feel connected to and have chosen themselves.
Divisions for competition this year include:
- $500 – Middle School (6th – 8th grade)
- $1000 – High School (9th-12th grade)
- $1500 – College/Continuing Ed (enrollment in 2 year or 4 year college/career school, or graduate school; age requirements 18-24 years old. Seniors in High School should apply to the High School division.
Middle and High School Division: Students may choose from the two options below. If choosing to write an essay, we strongly encourage submission to your local, regional, and/or state NHD competition. All applicants are strongly encouraged to work with their history and/or ELA teacher(s).
- A. Essay (1500-2500 words): refer to Section 6.1 Paper, A1-A5, pp. 22-24 of the NHD Contest Rule Book. Include the Title Page and Annotated Bibliography as described in section 5.2, Rules 15-20, pp. 18-21 of the NHD Contest Rule Book.
- B. NHD project: submit the written materials described in section 5.2, Rules 15-20, pp. 18-21 of the NHD Contest Rule Book. This includes a Title Page, a Process Paper, and an Annotated Bibliography. Audiovisual or performance projects should provide a link or a supplemental document.
College/Continuing Ed Division: Students should write an essay which relates to the theme. The GMF scholarship follows the same rules as the NHD Paper Category:
Essay shall be 1500-2500 words: refer to Section 6.1 Paper, A1-A5, pp. 22-24 of the NHD Contest Rule Book. Include the Title Page and Annotated Bibliography as described in section 5.2, Rules 15-20, pp. 18-21 of the NHD Contest Rule Book.
Other requirements: All submissions must have a cover sheet which includes: (1) contact information for the applicant (and for all group members, if applicable); name, best phone number, and mailing address are required. (2) For MS and HS, please include the name and contact information for your teacher/advisor. (3) Indication of the Division you are submitting to (MS, HS, or College). (4) Group projects must include a statement from all group members agreeing to the submission.
The deadline for applications is noon, May 1, 2023 (or postmarked by May 1). You may reach out to Education Chair, Kristen French (kristenfrench.sc.mayflower @gmail.com; 843-478-3736) with any questions. Electronic submissions to kristenfrench.sc.mayflower @gmail.com; USPS submissions to Kristen French, 4923 France Ave, North Charleston, SC 29405.
*National History Day: Frontiers in History: https://www.nhd.org/frontiers-history https://www.nhd.org/sites/default/files/NHD_2023ThemeBook_web_060922_update.pdf †National History Day Contest Rule Book, June 22, 2020 Edition, Rules Revision Task Force, National History Day, Inc., Copyright 2020: digital version is downloadable via the NHD.org website or through this pdf link: https://www.nhd.org/sites/default/files/NHDRuleBook2021Digital_0.pdf